Cleaning Out the Fridge!

You wanna know one of the things I enjoy most about getting ready for a trip?  I love seeing what meals I can come up with when I am cleaning out my fridge...

Jim and I are preparing for our trip to Boston for Thanksgiving next week and we are SO excited. I am excited to be home, excited to get away from work for a few days...but I am not excited about the actual travel since we are taking the red eye the night before Thanksgiving. Ugh, wish us luck.

Over the last few weeks, I have been piling up some items so I don't forget to pack them. For example, I forgot my mom and dad's birthday cards in September, so I already threw those in my suitcase. I packed up my peacoat, a few sweatshirts, my UGG boots, etc. Today, I decided to look through the fridge to see what perishable items needed to be eaten/cooked/tossed prior to our trip. 

I noticed we had typical veggies such as red peppers, onions, spinach, baby carrots...as well as some shredded cheddar cheese and ground beef that I know won't last while we are away. BAM! I will make some chili. I have been trying to eat more protein, so I can make that happen by throwing in a bunch of different beans (black beans, white beans, garbanzos...whatever I have). Last night, I cooked up some edamame, so I figure I can pop those suckers out of the shell and toss them in, too. Why not? They will add some nice color, as well as fiber. I also noticed I had some fresh salsa from Trader Joe's that won't last much longer, as well as some opened turkey bacon from over the weekend. I decided to just throw everything in together.

As far as non-perishable items are concerned, I always keep a few canned diced tomatoes in the pantry, as well as various beans, chicken/vegetable broth and other seasonings, like cumin that I will add to the pot. It won't be the best planned chili in the world, but it will certainly do the trick. And who doesn't love a warm, comforting bowl of chili for dinner while watching The Blacklist?! Chrissy and I are soooo into the new drama with James Spader.

I started out with all these ingredients (minus the bread/bagels captured in the shot). The ground beef and broth are not pictured, as they are simmering in a big pot on the stove.

 
I then diced up a few of the veggies to get those working as early as possible. I find that I need to cook carrots for like 3 hours for me to enjoy them.

 
These are the veggies I added first (red pepper, carrots and about half my onions), so they would cook the longest. I also poured the salsa in to cook with the meat.

 
I then threw in the beans, edamame, corn and more onions a few hours later. In total, it took about 2-3 hours to prep and cook the chili.  I kep it simmering for a few more hours, I was just hungry and eager to try it! 

 
Here it is about 4 hours later.  I also made some cornbread and took out all my toppings (and more seasonings since Jim can handle a little more kick than me). **Oh and hugely important -- don't forget to skim the fat off the top!!!
 

 
Finished product. Cornbread on the bottom, then a few scoops of chili topped with low-fat, shredded cheddar cheese and greek yogurt. Yum!

 
High protein, high fiber...just what I was looking for (oh, and an empty fridge too!). Success!
 
xo,
Shaz
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cals Feb Vacation journal

This is What Miscarriage Looks Like…

Cadens Feb Vacation journal