Happy EASTER Sunday!!!

I woke up this morning and realized this is my LAST holiday being pregnant. Not that it's a huge difference being pregnant on a holiday or not, it's just something that came to mind. When not pregnant, you can travel, drink mimosas and  go for walks after dinner when you aren't on bed rest! Ha so instead, I am staying local, resting up and drinking mint water. It is hard to believe that next year, we are going to have two little boys running around (hopefully with their cousins up in Massachusetts).

This year, however, Jim and I are lucky to have visitors with us in DC. Theresa, Jim's sister and her roommate Ashley joined us this weekend. We saw some fun sites yesterday and also had a great Easter Dinner this afternoon. :)

I bought some more tulips for the occasion. Since these are still in dirt, I can transplant them outside and hopefully they'll grow back next year!


Today's Easter Dinner Menu:
  • Spiral Ham (9 lbs)
  • Baked Pineapple
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Roasted Sweet Potatoes
  • Sauteed Asparagus with Red Onion
Spiral Ham 

Jimbo glazed the ham...we just used the store bought package that came with it. It  required me to add water and let it come to a boil while constantly stirring. It smelled like cinnamon and was delicious! I cooked it about an hour and a half at 350 degrees. While in the oven, I also added a few sides so everything was ready to eat pretty quickly.




Mashed Potatoes

I used your typical old mashed potato recipe - peeled and diced up the potatoes (Jimbo did that) and then boiled them, drained them, mashed them up and added some milk/butter/salt/garlic salt/black pepper. While they were boiling, I added some garlic salt and salt.





Sweet Potatoes

Pretty similar situation here - Jim peeled and diced up the sweet potatoes, then I just drizzled some EVOO, salt and pepper and roasted them for about 45 minutes also at 350 degrees. Make sure to cover them so they cook up quickly.




Sauteed Asparagus with Red Onion

The asparagus was on sale at the store, so I bought two. I was originally going to roast it, but my oven filled up quickly. So I started with some EVOO in my pan, then added red onion for color, and some garlic. After about 4-5 minutes, I added the asparagus and turned the heat way down. I let them cook for about 15 minutes, stirring and flipping occasionally. I then squeezed about 4 slices of lemon on the asparagus prior to serving.





Baked Pineapple

What a hit this dish was....I was trying to think about something else to serve to make this "simple" meal more of a "holiday" meal. Jim really likes pineapple, so I googled a few pineapple side dishes. I came up with this Baked Pineapple dish and it was AWESOME. Super sweet and a perfect pairing with the ham.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs, beaten
5 slices fresh white bread, crusts trimmed off and cubed
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, partially drained
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter with sugar. Add beaten eggs and beat all together w/ mixer.
3. Add in a pinch of salt, pineapple and bread (mixture will look curdled).
4. Pour mixture into a 1 1/2 quart ungreased casserole dish. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 60 minutes.




The ham (below) and the pineapple dish were the first two in the oven! 



And here's a look at the whole spread...


What a great meal. We had a fun, relaxing day. Now LET'S GO BRUINS!!


Happy Easter Everyone. Hope you are all able to enjoy a fantastic meal and be with those you love. :)

xo,
Shaz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cals Feb Vacation journal

This is What Miscarriage Looks Like…

Cadens Feb Vacation journal