Big News!!!!

I was tired of not being able to provide a real answer to people when they asked if Conor and Caden were fraternal or identical. I mean, they look A LOT a like. Not exactly the same, because there is a two-pound weight difference, but they look the same (especially when dressed the same, hehe).


I know it shouldn't matter whether that are identical or fraternal and that I should just be happy that I have two healthy, happy, curious toddlers. But to everyone who asked, I replied with "I think they're fraternal, because I had a di/di pregnancy and I can tell them apart -- but I have no idea". What kind of response is that???

So for those who don't know, a di/di or "dichorionic diamniotic" (DCDA) pregnancy is a type of twin pregnancy where each twin has its own chorionic and amnionic sacs. This type occurs most commonly with dizygotic (aka fraternal) twins, but may also occur with monozygotic (aka identical) twin pregnancies. This type of twin pregnancy is in fact the healthiest because the twins do not need to share the food and nutrients since they have their own umbilical cords and placentas.

I guess I sort of always questioned whether they were going to be identical or not, because 1/3 of di/di pregnancies result in identical twins - and who knows, maybe even more because there is no easy way to find out. And since I couldn't tell if they were fraternal/identical after they were born, I asked my OB office and the boys pediatrician's office (and during my hospital stay) to provide me with their blood types and any other identifying information.

Prior to giving birth, I had read somewhere that if di/di twins are the same gender, have the same blood type, eye color, hair color, skin tone, ear shape, hand shape, and even the same way their teeth come in -- then there's a good chance of them being identical. I eventually found out their blood types when we moved to a MA pediatrician, because I had to order the boys' medical records. Sooooo...since everything was the same, I paid $99 to Proactive Genetics and ordered a zygosity twin testing kit around their first birthday.

I received the kit mid-May and did a bunch of little cheek swabs on both of them. I had to do several swabs before breakfast one day and after dinner that night. Two swabs on each cheek, each time. They handled it wonderfully. :) I watched the progress on the genetic testing website and once it said they received my kit, they said I should receive the results by June 1. Well, everyone... I received the results yesterday and they are IDENTICAL.



I should say I'm not surprised because I always had a bit of a feeling they were (duh, why else would I have ordered the test?!) but I am still a little surprised. So I must say that I am very happy that I can finally give everyone a legit answer. YAY!

In other news, I went to Walmart with my mom and bought the boys this $5 pool. They love it. Sometimes I even put a little bath soap in there and wash them all up. It's easier than giving them a bath inside. Grampa even warms up the water for them since the wind can make it a bit chilly out there!



And we also finally set up their cribs at my parents house. I think they are happy to have them back! A pack and play can only be so comfortable for weeks at a time....



Happy Friday, everyone!  xoxoxo
Shaz

PS Flashback to when these nuggets were just hours old...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cals Feb Vacation journal

This is What Miscarriage Looks Like…

Cadens Feb Vacation journal