Surf n Turf with Couscous and Cauliflower

I haven't had a Blue Apron membership in a long time. I blogged about it over a year ago here and again earlier this year, but I haven't resumed my deliveries since moving back to Massachusetts. However, since having this dish last night, I may just pick it back up. 

Chrissy and Lindsey came over last night to celebrate some big work accomplishments for all of us. Chrissy had her first deal close at work, Lindsey was on CHRONICLE for her fitness training, Jimbo is getting some well-deserved accolades at his job, and I had a successful week at work myself. 



I wanted to make something special and new, so I did some research and made a little twist on a dish Blue Apron posted on their website. As soon as I saw roasted cauliflower and shrimp, I knew I needed to try it. It called for brown rice and a few spices I didn't have, but I made it with my favorite Israeli couscous and some other tasty things. We also decided to add some steak tips (changed from chicken in the photo) to increase the protein - and the flavor. ;)





Ingredients - 4 servings
  • Raw shrimp (1.5 lbs)
  • Raw steak tips (5oz servings)
  • Cauliflower (2 heads)
  • Scallions
  • Garlic
  • Lemons
  • Parsley
  • Coriander
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Dried dill
  • Onion powder
  • Butter/EVOO
  • Salt
  • Pepper
To begin, I immediately diced up the cauliflower, drizzled some EVOO, salt and pepper and tossed it in the oven at 475 for about 25 minutes. 


While the cauliflower cooked, I then peeled and washed all the raw shrimp. I marinated both the shrimp and the meat - the shrimp had coriander, drill, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. I let that sit in the fridge for a couple hours. I added only salt and pepper to the steak.


After that, I made the butter concoction - I used softened butter (1/4 stick) and added garlic, the whites of the scallions, parsley, onion powder and let that sit in the fridge to sit as well. This is what the shrimp and steak cooked in (you can opt for EVOO if you want).  

Once those were in the fridge, I made the Israeli couscous by boiling water and letting it sit. I transferred it to a saute pan where I added a bit of the butter concoction, some parsley, and the cauliflower when it finished roasting. That marinated for a while on the stove top until we were ready to eat. 


Right when we were about to serve the meal, I tossed the shrimp on the stove with a little of the butter concoction - 2 minutes on each side, MAX. If these are overdone, they become rubbery and tough. After the shrimp cooked, I added that to the couscous and cauliflower since it was warming up - and cooked the steak. I cooked it for about 4-5 minutes on the first side and maybe 4-5 on other side. Some pieces were larger than others (4 oz pieces of steak).


 I then plated everything up and served it!


We paired it with a William Hill Sauvignon Blanc (for the shrimp portion) and a Cabernet Sauvignon from Bridalwood Winery (for the steak). Both are in the same wine family with Louis Martini. What a memorable and fun meal. 


Have a good weekend!

xo,
Shaz


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cals Feb Vacation journal

This is What Miscarriage Looks Like…

Cadens Feb Vacation journal